BTEC HNC in Building Services Engineering


  • H.E. Students


What does the course include?

The course consists of ten units designed to give you a thorough understanding of the principles of Building Services Engineering:

  • design principles and application for construction and the built environment
  • application of scientific principles to building services engineering.
  • group project in the construction industry
  • health, safety and welfare for construction and the built environment
  • building management systems for building services engineering
  • electrical installation for building services engineering
  • electrical and electronic control principles for building services engineering
  • applied mathematics for construction and the built environment
  • low pressure hot warer for non-domestic buildings
  • thermo fluids and acoustic criteria for building services engineering

How is the course assessed?

Most assessment is through written coursework although there are some class-based tests and one group project. A typical unit may include two coursework assignments and one class-based open-book test.

Where does it lead?

The course provides a nationally recognised qualification for those employed in the Building Services industry and associated areas. Students on the course are encouraged to gain membership to the CIBSE or other relevant professional institutions.

Further study opportunities include HND and/or Degree level courses in Building Services Engineering.

What qualification do I get on completing this course?


Where have students gone to after completing this course?

University, Higher Education study

Is there additional work required by the student?

To successfully complete this course you will be expected to spend a number of additional hours a week on assignments, project or field trips.

Important Information

Please note that to ensure students get the best experience possible, our Higher Education courses will run subject to numbers. If we are unable to meet our minimum threshold, we will aim to direct you to a provider who has a similar offer. Please also ensure you are familar with our HE Terms and Conditions before you apply. 

What are the expected employment areas with this course?


Awarding Body

Entry Requirements

What do I need to get on to the course?

The course is more likely to benefit applicants already working in the industry, however each candidate will be assessed on previous experience and qualifications including:

  • BTEC Level 3 qualifications in Building Services Engineering or Civil Engineering
  • Relevant A Levels (e.g. Mathematics or Physics)
  • Work related experience and other Level 3 qualifications will be considered for mature applicants
  • Successful applicants are recommended to purchase the latest edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations.

The interview process

All candidates are interviewed by the programme manager. Qualification certificates and an employer reference should be made available at interview.


Higher Education Fees

All students must pay the full fee for HE courses. A student loan facility is available for Higher Education courses. Further information can be found below or at or, along with how to apply, or you may contact the HE Information and Advice team on 020 7258 7221.

Student loans & grants

If you are a UK student planning to study a full-time or part-time higher education course you may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of your course. If you study full-time you may also be eligible to receive a maintenance loan and a grant to assist you with living costs.

These loans do not require repayment until you have finished your course and you are earning more than £21,000 per year, although you can start repaying them sooner if you wish.

Full-time students

Tuition fee loan

The amount paid to the College will be the actual cost of your course for each year of study up to a maximum of £9000. You can apply online at

Interest on your student loans

You’re charged interest on your loan from the time the first payment is made to the College until you pay your loan back in full. The amount of interest you’re charged varies (see table below). The actual interest rates depend on the rate of inflation.

Your income per year Interest rate on your loan
While you're studying Rate of inflation plus 3%
£21,000 or less Rate of inflation
£21,000 to £41,000 Varies between the rate of inflation and the rate of inflation plus 3% depending on your income
£41,000 or above Rate of inflation plus 3%

Maintenance loan

  • You can receive up to £7675 if living outside of your parental home and up to £4375 if you live with your parent(s).
  • You must be under 60 at the start of your course.
  • If you qualify for a Maintenance Grant the loan you receive will be reduced by up to £1625.
  • 65% of the loan is non-means tested, and the remaining 35% is means –tested. Apply online at

Maintenance Grant for living costs (full-time students only)

You can apply for a Maintenance Grant to help with your living costs. Maintenance Grants are available to students whose household income is £42,875 or less. Your household income is your parents’ or partner’s income and your own.

The maximum Maintenance Grant is £3,250 a year if your household income is under £25,000.

Part-time students

The amount paid to the College will be the actual cost of your course to a maximum of £6750 per year.

Your course needs to be at least 25% of a full-time course to qualify for a loan. Further information is available on the Student Finance England website.

Further information for students from England

For information about the finance package on offer for students from England starting higher education in 2013-14, please see the BIS student finance page

For further details please see which will help you understand the application process cycle.

Higher Education fee myths

Myth: I can’t afford to do an HE Course, it’s too expensive:

Not True: there are no upfront costs if you meet residential requirements and you don’t already have a degree.

Myth: all universities/colleges are charging £9,000:

Not true: some universities are charging less and many FE Colleges charge less than £6,000. Here at City of Westminster College HE fees start from only £3,900 per academic year. Financial help is also available through loans, grants, scholarships and bursaries.

Myth: the loan repayments will be massive:

Not true: you only start repaying when you’re earning over £21,000 and if you earn less you don’t pay anything back.

Myth: student debt will stop me getting a mortgage:

Not true: student loans are unsecured loans from the government and are not like credit cards of commercial loans.

How your fees are used

The fees for our HE courses depend on your particular course, as unlike Universities we don't charge a flat £9,000 per year. It's why studying with us is so affordable in comparision. Below is a graphic showing where your fees go.


Financial support to help with childcare

Care to learn - childcare support for young people aged 16-20

If you are aged under 20 at the beginning of your course, or moving to the 2nd year of a level 3 course, and are caring for your own child you may be entitled to £175.00 maximum per week, per child through Care to Learn. 

Please ensure you register on the Care to Learn website even if you haven’t chosen your childcare provider or the course you want to study.  Once you have registered Care to Learn will confirm financial support in principle.

For further details and help with making an application please visit or speak to a Student Advisor.

Childcare support for people aged 20+

Financial support towards the cost of nursery, childminder, breakfast clubs and after-school clubs.

If you are aged 20+ when you start a course and need financial support to help with the cost of childcare while you study the college may be able to help.

You will be required to make use of any government NEF or 2+ Funding before requesting any financial support from the college.

It is essential that you speak to a Student Advisor prior to enrolling on a course to discuss your personal circumstances, childcare needs and to find out if there are funds available.

Eligibility for help with childcare costs is based on your personal circumstances.

General eligibility criteria:

  • Aged 20 and over
  • Considered a home student for fee purposes
  • Fully enrolled on a programme of study funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency  or in receipt of a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan
  • Discussed and had confirmation of funding for childcare support before enrolling

Financial eligibility:

 You need to have evidence that you meet general discretionary Learner Support Funds or 19+ Advanced Learning Loan bursary fund criteria:

  • on a low income / a dependent of someone who is on a low income or in receipt of a means tested benefit e.g. Income Support / Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, housing benefit etc.

When looking for childcare please be aware:

  • all childcare providers must be OFSTED registered
  • any 2+ or 3+ government funding must be used by the student. Only additional hours needed for study will be funded by the College.
  • childcare will only be paid for days when you are attending College or a mandatory work placement.
  • students on full-time courses will be a priority for childcare funding.
  • childcare places will be subject to a contract between College/student/nursery.
  • childcare payments are made subject to students reaching 85% attendance on a monthly basis.

All childcare applicants approved for funding will be required to sign our Terms & Conditions and MUST inform the College immediately should they stop attending lessons for any reason.

Email to put your name on the childcare waiting list.  You MUST speak to a member of the Student Advice or Learner Services team before you enrol on a course.