Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training


  • H.E. Students, Adults (Part-time)
  • 3 hours per week


This course is for teachers and trainers working in Further Education Colleges, Adult and Community Learning, 14-19 units in Schools and Academies, Private Training Organisations, Prison Education and the Public services (Police, Paramedics, Fire Service) The diploma is the full teaching qualification for the further education sector.

Success Rates

The teacher training department is run by highly qualified and experienced staff. The department has a long history of excellent success rates which exceed the national averages on all courses. In 2016-2017 94% of students who studied on the Level 5 DET (in service) achieved a pass.

Will the course give me what I want?

Course Content

The course covers the following units:

Year 1

  • Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
  • Theories, principles and models in education and training
  • Understanding and Managing behaviour in a learning environment
  • Preparing for the personal tutoring role
  • Delivering Employability Skills 

Year 2

  • Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
  • Teaching  in a specialist area
  • Action Research
  • Wider Professional Practice in education and training

Outline of Skills and Knowledge

The aim of the diploma is to provide teachers, training and tutors in, or intending to enter, a full teaching role with the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills in order to effectively fulfil the full teacher role and to claim Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status (QTLS).

What have students who have taken this course in the past progressed to?

Successful candidates have gone on to achieve Qualified Teaching and Learning skills status and/or have secured permanent teaching employment or progressed on to further studies in education.   

How will I learn?

Lessons will typically consist of active learning in a classroom environment. You will also have access to high quality guest speakers who will share their expertise around safeguarding, using technology in the classroom and managing classroom behaviour. You will also learn on the job through your teaching practice and reflecting on your practice. 

How will I be assessed?

You will complete a variety of assessments including group presentations, written tasks and recorded discussions.   At the end of each year your will present a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates that you have met the assessment criteria of the taught units. You will also undergo 8 one hour observations of your teaching practice across the two years of study. 

How much time should I be expected to spend on assignments, projects, field trips?

In addition to time spent in classes in College, you will be expected to spend approximately 5 hours per week undertaking academic research and producing work for assessment. 

What qualification do I get on completing this course?

NCFE Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (In-Service)

Where have students gone to after completing this course?

University, Higher Education study

Is there additional work required by the student?

There are no other specific costs associated with the programme. Throughout the course students have access to a well-stocked library and the college’s virtual learning environment (Moodle) where class resources and additional reading materials are uploaded weekly.

For further information please email Rachel Casali rachel.casali@cwc.ac.uk

What are the expected employment areas with this course?


Awarding Body

Entry Requirements

What are the course entry requirements?

Students must have at least a Level 3 qualification in a subject specialism they teach in. A degree, or Level 3 or 4 professional qualification is also a requirement.


Students must have a paid or volunteer teaching placement in the subject they want to teach in which amounts to a minimum of 100 hours of teaching across the two years of the course.   The placement must involve working with learners aged 14+ and include all aspects of planning, delivering and assessing learning.  Students must also have access to a subject specialist mentor who can commit to completing 4 observations across the 2 years of the course. Students are responsible for making placement arrangements. 


The course is based on the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers in education in England which you can access here http://www.et-foundation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/4991-Prof-standards-A4_4-2.pdf.    Maintaining good attendance and punctuality throughout the course and demonstrating effective time management and organisation skills in order to meet assignment deadlines are expectations of professionalism while on the course.  

English and Maths Skills

You are expected have a Level 2 qualification in English prior to enrolment. All candidates undergo initial assessments in reading and writing to ensure your current literacy skills will enable you to complete written assessments. You do not need a specific Mathematics qualification to join this course, but you should be aware that teaching professionals should be qualified to level 2 in mathematics. 

Higher Education Fees

All students must pay the full fee for HE courses. Course fees can be paid in up to 3 instalments each academic year. A student loan facility is available for Higher Education courses. Further information is available at:  https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance, or you may contact the HE Information and Advice team on 020 7258 7221.


Higher Education Fees

Paying for your course

To cover tuition fees, loans are available from the government. You may also get support towards your living costs. The amount you can borrow depends on where you live and your household income. There is also extra support for those with special circumstances, for example, if you have children or adult dependants, a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.

How are these loans paid back?

You must pay back Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans. You pay interest on these. 
You don’t have to pay back other student finance such as grants and bursaries.
Repayments are based on your income, not on what you have borrowed. 
You only start repaying the loan once you’ve left university or college and your income is over £25,000 a year.
  • Repayments are 9% of everything earned in excess of £25,000.  
  • If your income drops below this amount repayments stop.
  • Your repayments will be taken out of your salary at the same time as tax and National Insurance if you’re an employee.
  • If you’re self-employed HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will work out how much you pay from your tax return. You pay at the same time as you pay your tax.
As a part-time student who earns over £25,000 a year you have to start paying back your loans after 4 years even if the course hasn’t finished. 
After 30 years, regardless of what you have already repaid the debt is wiped. If you never earn over £25,000 then you will never have to repay the loan.  
For the most up-to-date information visit www.gov.uk/student-finance or check out some of their guides below:


Financial support to help with childcare

Care to learn - childcare support for young people aged 16-20

If you are aged under 20 at the beginning of your course, or moving to the 2nd year of a level 3 course, and are caring for your own child you may be entitled to £175.00 maximum per week, per child through Care to Learn. 

Please ensure you register on the Care to Learn website even if you haven’t chosen your childcare provider or the course you want to study.  Once you have registered Care to Learn will confirm financial support in principle.

For further details and help with making an application please visit https://www.gov.uk/care-to-learn or speak to a Student Advisor.

Childcare support for people aged 20+

Financial support towards the cost of nursery, childminder, breakfast clubs and after-school clubs.

If you are aged 20+ when you start a course and need financial support to help with the cost of childcare while you study the college may be able to help.

You will be required to make use of any government NEF or 2+ Funding before requesting any financial support from the college.

It is essential that you speak to a Student Advisor prior to enrolling on a course to discuss your personal circumstances, childcare needs and to find out if there are funds available.

Eligibility for help with childcare costs is based on your personal circumstances.

General eligibility criteria:

  • Aged 20 and over
  • Considered a home student for fee purposes
  • Fully enrolled on a programme of study funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency  or in receipt of a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan
  • Discussed and had confirmation of funding for childcare support before enrolling

Financial eligibility:

 You need to have evidence that you meet general discretionary Learner Support Funds or 19+ Advanced Learning Loan bursary fund criteria:

  • on a low income / a dependent of someone who is on a low income or in receipt of a means tested benefit e.g. Income Support / Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, housing benefit etc.

When looking for childcare please be aware:

  • all childcare providers must be OFSTED registered
  • any 2+ or 3+ government funding must be used by the student. Only additional hours needed for study will be funded by the College.
  • childcare will only be paid for days when you are attending College or a mandatory work placement.
  • students on full-time courses will be a priority for childcare funding.
  • childcare places will be subject to a contract between College/student/nursery.
  • childcare payments are made subject to students reaching 85% attendance on a monthly basis.

All childcare applicants approved for funding will be required to sign our Terms & Conditions and MUST inform the College immediately should they stop attending lessons for any reason.

Email learner.services@cwc.ac.uk to put your name on the childcare waiting list.  You MUST speak to a member of the Student Advice or Learner Services team before you enrol on a course.